Sunday 17 January 2016

My Own Kitchen


I have always cooked, and since my first experience of food creation, watching my mother create a gravy from meat juices and advising me to stir in a figure of eight, I have wanted to be able to cook everything. My development in this venture was a slow one, growing up as a fussy child with an assistance that scrambled eggs were best cooked in the microwave without any seasoning. But as time has passed Julia Child has fixed my egg mistakes and I have learnt to love all food.

Spice collection
I spent my university years hating convenience foods and the idea that all students lived on eggy bread (as delicious as it is), and spent way too much studying time making home-cooked meals with my favourite housemate. But as fun as this always was, a house-share with five other girls did not allow much kitchen storage space and was not helpful in allowing me to develop a proper spice collection or larder, preventing me from becoming the super university master chef that was my destiny. I think that anyone reading this who is currently or has previously lived in a house share will understand how difficult it is to spend a long period of dinner time taking up too much worktop and cooker space on a daily basis, without annoying everyone.


Tiny larder

So now we get to the origins of the blog title and my little Scunthorpe kitchen. I am not from Scunthorpe and I moved to the town in August from South Wales, to move in with my boyfriend and to begin an exciting new job. I knew that I wanted to cook a lot as soon as I moved into my very own kitchen, but I could not have predicted the cooking frenzy that I was soon to fall into. My kitchen has abundant space that I had never had before and my storage dreams have come true. The town has a wonderful food market and an array of butchers and world food shops and I have loved exploring and getting inspired.

So as an alternative to bombarding my family and friends with constant food pictures and food talk, I have decided to document the development of my cooking and create this online diary of my favourite hobby. My first job will be to catch up and post all of my favourite meals that I have cooked over the last five months!




  


No comments:

Post a Comment