Wednesday 20 January 2016

Leftover Roast Lamb Recipe # 1

I like to get a bit of an idea in my mind of which leftover lamb recipes I that I want to make before I buy the joint of meat. I'll usually base my meal plan and shopping lists for the week on these lamb leftovers if I am roasting a large joint, or I will portion and freeze the meat if I am in the mood for some different things.

The great thing about leftover roasted meat is that the meat, as well as being beautifully cooked, will still contain the extra flavour enhancements from any rubs or seasoning. I like at least one of my leftover meals to be a little bit spicy and the following is one of my most commonly used combinations and a great way to vamp up dull looking leftovers. The below ingredients list is a list of what I used for the last spiced lamb that I made and it is very versatile. I also add any fresh greens or fresh tomatoes that I have to add a bit more colour.

Ingredients
  • 250g cooked leftover lamb
  • 50g chorizo
  • 1 400g tin of good quality chopped or plum tomatoes
  • 200g frozen spinach
  • 100g mushrooms
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 fresh red chili
  • 2 shallots
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Step one -

I like to create a spicy base to the dish by cooking the shallots and chili in the olive oil in a large sauce pan until soft, and then adding the garlic, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon and half of the tomato puree to the mixture to make a tasty paste. I cook this paste on a low-medium for about 5 minutes to help draw out the flavours from the spices.

Step two -

I then add the lamb and chorizo and cook for a further few minutes, ensuring that I have completely coated the meat in the spicy paste.

Leftover Lamb and Chorizo



Step three -

Once I feel like the lamb has taken in much of the new flavours, I will add the tin of chopped tomatoes, the second half of the puree and frozen spinach, and increase the heat to high. Season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste.




Step four -

I love serving with spaghetti!
Once this has heated through thoroughly I turn it down to low, add the mushrooms and any fresh greens and then simmer gently for 1 hour. I check the mixture every 15 minutes and add a dash of water if necessary.

And Serve!

My favourite accompaniment to this dish is spaghetti. I have also served it with basmati rice or roasted potatoes.

Happy cooking and/or eating!




No comments:

Post a Comment